SL #1: Business Networking for Entrepreneurs

Tagged as: |

icon for podpress  Standard Podcast [47:49m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download

Welcome to the inaugural StartupLounge.com podcast!

Join our guest (and co-host!) Michael Blake of Adams Capital to discuss business networking for entrepreneurs.
In this inaugural show, we focus on how entrepreneurs can better “network” in the real world. Should you hard sell the money guy at the networking event? What if the entrepreneur is “shy”, and not very outgoing? How can you evaluate your network, and what are the effective ways of building those key connections as an entrepreneur? How do you get the most out of your professional network?

Sponsors for this episode:
Be sure to click the logos below and visit our sponsors!

Shownotes:

Our format is a little out of the norm as far as podcasts go. We treat our efforts as a true “show” rather than a super-concise (limited) vehicle for delivery of information. Therefore, the podcasts can run a bit long. While we try to have very substantive discussions, we also try to have a lot of fun along the way (and that tends to elongate the programming a wee bit.) :) Our theory is that if we are having fun during the show, hopefully, you will be having a little fun listening as well.Here is the breakdown for the show, in case you want to skip past our rather lengthy opening segment.

Intro 00:00 to 00:44
Smalltalk and introduction: 00:45 to 10:13
Commercial/Comedy Break: 10:14 to 11:25
Discussion topic: Networking for Entrepreneurs 11:26 to 39:10
Commercial/Comedy Break: 39:11 to 39:40
Discussion topic (continued): 39:41 to 43:29
Wrap-up: 43:29 to 47:54

We’re shooting for a monthly show, and have a number of great shows already in the queue. Our next podcast will be in December (2006), and will be a great discussion around the digital entertainment/gaming industry in the southeast (including Georgia). Chris Klaus of Kaneva fame will be joining us, so you don’t want to miss that show if you’re into gaming, or interested in investing in that space.

Our 2007 is already packing up as well. In January, we’ll go deep with Tino Mantella, the President of the Technology Association of Georgia, and discuss their strategy for promoting and supporting entrepreneurship here in Georgia. And we’re already planning for several shows beyond that.

We welcome your feedback as well! If you have an interest in appearing on the show, have some suggestions for topics, have feedback, or would just like to email us and tell us to “shove off”, we invite you to contact us.

Enjoy!

17 Comments so far »

1. GeeMaxine said

on November 30 2006 @ 10:30 pm

Mike and Scott this is a great podcast! I am glad to finally see some quality podcasting for entrepreneurs here in the southeast. I look forward to the next installment! :D

As I am working on putting together a business plan for a new game studio myself, I can’t wait to hear the next show on the gaming industry. Do you have any ideas as to when that show will be published?

2. Scott Burkett said

on December 1 2006 @ 1:23 am

Hi there, Gee, and thanks for stopping by and dropping a comment! :)

We don’t really have a “set” schedule, per se, but we are striving for one quality podcast each month. Of course, this time of the year, we are contending with the holidays, so a lot of the timing depends upon the schedule for our guests!

I would think we’d get the next one out before Christmas, however.

Cheers.
    Scott

3. Emmett Childress said

on December 1 2006 @ 8:43 am

Way to go!!!!! Can I have one of the first t-shirts and mugs? Seriously this is just the right thing to do. Nice job!!!

4. RSM82 said

on December 2 2006 @ 10:51 am

great podcast! i found the topic of value even up here in the pacific northwest. can i get it on itunes yet? and when do we get to see the pics of michael with his underwear and oakland raiders jersey on flickr? ;)

5. Scott Burkett said

on December 2 2006 @ 9:01 pm

Emmett – thanks for the kind words!

RSM82 – funny you should mention iTunes, we just submitted our info to them today, so it should be available within the next few days. You should be able to add the feed manually to iTunes, though. The URL for the feed is on the home page.

As far as the pics of Mike goes, well … I have to keep them safeguarded, so that I can hold them over his head to force him to continue doing the show :)

Cheers.
    Scott

6. George said

on December 3 2006 @ 9:35 pm

Good going, guys! Great entertainment with a bit of education mixed in.

As an entrepreneur, VC, MBA school prof and technology attorney, this show hits all my buttons!

I’m recommending this podcast to my MBA students and entrepreneur contacts.

Very cool. Keep it up, guys.

7. George said

on December 3 2006 @ 9:51 pm

P.S.

Regards from Toronto!

George

8. Josh said

on December 4 2006 @ 10:34 am

Good show guys – I look forward to hearing more.

–Josh

9. Scott Burkett said

on December 4 2006 @ 1:27 pm

Josh & George – thanks for stopping by – glad you enjoyed the show!

George – thanks for recommending the podcast to your associates – hopefully, they will derive value from it as well.

Cheers.
    Scott

10. Stacy Williams said

on December 4 2006 @ 5:11 pm

You guys are wickedly funny – well – as funny as two nerds with a business background can get. Either way it is high praise. You put the “fun” in funding.

11. Mike Blake said

on December 5 2006 @ 5:02 pm

Thanks to everyone who has listened to the podcast and for your suggestions and encouragement. The positive feedback we are receiving is truly appreciated. Scott and I are “going back into the studio” for another recording on December 13th, and we’ll have a very neat guest for that one.

– mike

12. Samuel Bailey said

on December 7 2006 @ 11:00 am

Outstanding… I should have thought of this first.
    Keep up the good work. There is a great need for this type of information and format. I hope you talk more about capital (debt versus equity)…

This is a real mystery to most businesses from startup to established companies. There are a lot of great ideas and technology waiting to happen but lack honest real world information.

I have 20 years experience and I learned something from the show… A real value flow……………….. ;)

I predict this show will be a big success.

Cheers.

13. Scott Burkett said

on December 7 2006 @ 3:01 pm

Samuel – thanks for the kind words! I’m glad you found the show to be of value.

Mike and I will be chatting about this in our show next week, but the response to this has been far beyond what we could have imagined.

Cheers.
    Scott

14. emmett childress said

on December 7 2006 @ 4:57 pm

I made the comment about the mugs BEFORE I listened to the podcast…you should have seen my face when I heard you stiffed the guy who had inquired about your show. The format is excellent. The jokes made the learning process an interesting one. I think that you will get a lot of positive feedback because the show was fun experience. I want me shirt and mug…arrrrgggg

15. Anne Simons said

on December 14 2006 @ 12:13 am

LOL, Scott, this is great! Funny, informative, professional. I’m a fan!

16. Rochelle Hamilton said

on December 29 2006 @ 10:42 pm

How exciting. The inaugural podcast was great! I look forward to listening to future shows. Keep up the good work. I’ll spread the word to the folks in my network.

17. Recomendaciones para crear redes sociales efectivas (ó como ser un buen ‘networker’) said

on March 22 2011 @ 7:39 am

[...] consejos anteriores los escuché hace ya unos años en un podcast por Michael Blake, cofundador del Startup Lounge, una organización basada en la ciudad de Atlanta que fomenta el [...]

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI